To celebrate St. David’s Day, our own staff has provided their family’s Welsh Cake Recipe so that you can make this traditional food at home. The cakes are a cross between a cookie, scone and pancake. They are the size of thick cookie and made from ingredients similar to a scone, but they are cooked like a pancake on a griddle. We hope you enjoy making this traditional Welsh food! To learn more about St. David’s Day, visit our blog post here.
Prep time: less than 30 minutes
Cook time: less than 10 minutes
Makes 10 cakes
- 4oz (preferably Welsh) Salted Butter, chilled, cut into cubes (plus a little extra for greasing)
- 8oz Self-Rising Flour* (sieved, plus extra for dusting)
- 3oz Caster Sugar (this can be found at most markets)
- A Handful of Sultanas (raisins can be used)
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Milk, if needed
Rub the butter into the flour to make breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and sultanas, then stir in the egg. Mix, then form a ball of dough, using a splash of milk if needed. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is ¼ inch thick. Cut it into rounds using a 3-inch fluted cutter (a wine glass about 3 inches in diameter works well).
You now need a bakestone or a heavy iron griddle. Rub it with butter and wipe the excess away. Put it on a direct heat and wait until it heats up. Place the Welsh cakes on the griddle and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side, or until caramel brown.
Remove from the pan and dust with caster sugar while still warm. Some people leave out the sultanas (raisins) and instead split them when cool and sandwich them together with jam. Or, you could do both!
Now, put a daffodil on your lapel and serve these delicious cakes to friends and family.
* Chances are, you may not have “self-rising flour” in your cupboard. If not, here’s a simple recipe to make it, and these ingredients are all likely right in your pantry.
- 4 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons of Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon of Fine Salt
Put everything in a large mixing bowl. Whisk it together to combine the ingredients. Store the unused portion in an airtight container for the next time you’ll need it.
* * *
We hope you enjoy trying this Welsh recipe! To learn more about how you can travel to Wales and experience the culture and foods firsthand, contact us today at 310-791-6101 or request a quote online.